Canada Cup season 7 is gearing up to start on April 23 with a massive open qualifier. Four teams will advance into the main event to join 12 of the best teams from America including compLexity Gaming, Digital Chaos, Infamous and Shazam. 16 teams will battle it out in a GSL style format for the $20,000+ prize pool.
Question: Should Top 2 or Top 4 qualify for groups in Season 7 Open Qualifiers?
— Dota 2 Canada (@Dota2Canada) March 28, 2016
Canada Cup season 7 has been announced, boasting $20,000+ prize pool, increased with cosmetic item sales. Season 7 will feature the best Americas teams and “massive” open qualifier hosted in part with FACEIT.
Open Qualifiers will take place April 23rd-24th with the top four teams advancing into the main event.
The Main Event will feature a total of 16 teams – 12 invited and 4 from the Open Qualifiers.
Changes to this season include implementation of GSL style group format where there will be no ties and no teams eliminated. All 16 teams will continue in the playoffs based on their results in the group stage.
Teams for Canada Cup season 7
+ 8 Invites still TBD in coming weeks
+4 winners of open qualifiers
Open Qualifier Information
Sign up HERE for the open qualifiers through FACEIT
- Check in: 14:00 EST
- Starts: 15:00 EST
- Rounds of 256 through 32: best-of-one
- Rounds of 16-8
Canada Cup season 7 format
Canada Cup season 7 format groupstage
- Canada Cup season 7 group stage will be played in a classic GSL format.
- The 16 participating teams will be split up into four groups.
- The group stage will determine the seeding for the main event.
- Eight teams will be seeded into the main event Upper Brackets, while the remaining eight will start the main event in the Lower Brackets.
- No teams will be eliminated in the group stage.
In each group, the teams will play best-of-one matches, as shown below:
Match #1: Team A vs. Team B
Match #2: Team C vs. Team D
Winners’ match (WM): Winner of Match #1 vs. winner of Match #2 – winner advances to the Upper Bracket
Losers’ match (EM): Loser of Match #1 vs. loser of Match #2 – loser drops to the Lower Bracket
Decider match: Loser of WM vs. winner of EM – winner advances to the Upper Bracket and loser drops to Lower Bracket
Canada Cup season 7 format: Main event
- 16 teams will play a double-elimination bracket.
- Eight teams (top two teams of each of the groups) will start the main event in the Upper Bracket
- All the Upper Bracket match-ups will be best-of-three series.
- The first two rounds of the Lower Bracket matches will be best-of-one elimination series. The following rounds will be best-of-three elimination series.
- The Grand Finals will be best-of-five series, with no winners’ advantage.