Vulcun fantasy league has announced a partnership with DotaPit and Faceit, giving Dota 2 fans a place to share in the $4,000,000 prize pool available for 2015. Participants have the opportunity to join free or paid leagues and to win actual cash prizes. Prize pool is mainly funded by entry fees with typically Vulcun taking 20% of the fees and the other 80% being distributed to participants. There is currently a $4 million prize pool guaranteed for 2015, with $510,860 in prizes being paid out in the last eight weeks.
— Vulcun (@VulcunFS) March 24, 2015
How does it work?
The process is fairly simple. Each Vulcun user becomes a team manager. Each manager is given a fixed budget and is expected to use the fantasy dollars wisely to create the best possible roster, while abiding by the Vulcun rules. Managers can then enter their fantasy teams in the available tournaments. Once a tournament is completed, the scores of each player are added up creating a total team score. The team with the highest score wins the tournament. Participants are informed of a variety of factors prior to signing up including: what percentage of teams will receive money; the prize pool amount; number of teams already signed up; entry fee, and when the tournament starts.
The Dota 2 fantasy league concept
Fantasy leagues are nothing new to sports. The Fantasy Sports Trade Association estimates that 42 million people in the U.S. and Canada took part in some form of fantasy sports in 2014.
The Dota 2 fantasy league concept was first introduced by Valve in the compendium for The International 2013. Owners of the compendium were able to create an extra fantasy team and were rewarded with various in-game prizes for their results.
In February 2014, the new patch expanded on the compendium idea and included a Dota Fantasy League, where friends would join together to create fantasy teams made of the current pro players. To enter into the league, participants would first purchase a ticket, create a league, invite friends (who also needed to purchase a ticket), and arrange a live draft. Then the league would automatically create matchups to earn points to win against the other members of the league. Points were awarded when professional players on your roster participated in tournaments. The winner of the league was awarded various in-game items.
Vulcun was founded in 2014 and is based in San Francisco, California. They began offering their fantasy league service to League of Legends, but have expanded to include both Dota 2 and Counter Strike: Global Offensive this week. Vulcun fantasy league is subject to U.S. gambling laws. According to their legal section: “All Canadian and U.S. residents 18 years and older (19 years of age in Alabama and Nebraska) are eligible to play on Vulcun, except for residents in Arizona, Louisiana, Montana, and Washington. Residents of other countries are responsible for checking if this is allowed within their jurisdictions”.